Udong is located about 40 miles north of Phnom Penh, and once served as the capital of Cambodia from 1618-1866. The hill, Phnom Udong, is made up of a series of stupas and shrines, but most of the buildings that once occupied the area were destroyed by American bombing and the Khmer Rouge. At the bottom of the hill is a staircase which leads to the top, from which one can view the countryside. In 2002 a new stupa was dedicated on the top of the mountain to hold the Buddha relics that were formerly in the stupa in front of the train station in Phnom Penh. This stupa was dedicated by King Norodom Sihanouk.