This statue of Lokesvara can be identified by the image of the Buddha Amitabha found in the headdress. The statue was found in the neighboring undergrowth of the temple, and was erected in the main tower in 1943; it is currently in the collection of the National Museum of Phnom Penh. The only two hands which remained holding the disc and the rosary were broken off and stolen in 1945. According to Preah Khan's foundation stele, the statue should have been found in the main tower, and corresponds to the portrait of the father of Jayavarman VII (1181-c.1220), sculpted in the image of the Bodhisattva Lokesvara. Jayavarman VI likely built Preah Khan as his residence during the construction of his capital, Angkor Thom, after the Cham invasion in 1177. The temple was dedicated to Jayavarman VII’s father, Dharanindravarman (1107-1112). The complex was one of Jayavarman VII’s larger projects, and may also have been used as a Buddhist university. Some 97, 840 people served the temple, of whom 1000 were dancers. The Buddhist temple complex is unusual in that it includes Hindu subsidiary temples devoted to Vishnu and Shiva.