The market was built by the architect Louis Chauchon in 1937, and its engineering was overseen by Wladimir Kandaouroff. The surrounding streets were built around 1946. Ernest Hebrard, head of the French Town Planning Service in Indochina, was responsible for the town planning. The main entrance to the market faces east towards Street 136, and the market is bounded by Streets 67, 130, 53 and 126. It has a central domed hall with four arms, and market stalls fill the surrounding areas.