The statue of King Sisowath was commissioned in 1908 to commemorate the reign of King Sisowath and the retrocession of the old provinces of Battambang, Sisophon and Siem Reap to Cambodia in the 1907 Franco-Siamese Treaty. The commission was awarded to a French sculptor, Theodore Riviere, who did almost all of the sculpture in France. The Protectorate paid for its transportation to Phnom Penh and it was installed at the base of Wat Phnom in 1909. Phnom Don Penh or Wat Phnom, marks the center of the settlement which eventually grew into the city of Phnom Penh. Khmer legend has it that in 1372, a woman named Penh found four statues of the Buddha on the banks of the Mekong, and she built a pagoda on a hill to house the images. The hill was named Phnom Don Penh or Hill of the Lady Penh. The sanctuary was allegedly rebuilt in 1434, 1806, 1890-1894, and the modern structure dates to 1926.