Historical Archives and Photographs: Cebuano Studies Center, Philippines

In May 2007 Filipino librarians gathered at the University of San Carlos to learn about digitization techniques in a workshop led by Carla Montori, recently retired from the University of Michigan Libraries. The materials available are the product of these participants' efforts in this workshop.

Historical photographs selected from the Cebuano Studies collection at the library of University of San Carlos depict the landscape and people of the Philippines from late 19th century through the 1970s.

Selected masters' thesis from the Filipiniana collection at the library of University of San Carlos, Cebu City, Philippines (with bibliographic information of the theses available in the online catalog of University of San Carlos Library) are also included.

Bolocboloc Springs
Inscription: Bolocboloc Lourdes Waterworks…1926., A view of the swimming pool in Bolocboloc, Barili. Photo shows the cemented portion of the pipeline bearing the inscription: 'Bolocboloc Lourdes Waterworks…1926.', Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebuano Artists
Photo shows singer and actress Acrsenia Francisco performing accompanied by musician-composer Tomas 'Perdog' Villaflor. This photo was taken at the old Rosemary Theater on Sanciango St., Cebu City, in the 1930's., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebuano Writers
Inscription: Mga mananaug sa bangga sa balak sa 1965. Ric Baladjay, Takyo Dabras, Dading Alferez ug si Berto Climaco., Photo shows the winners of the Ludabi Literary Contest of 1965 (Poetry Division). From left to right: Ricardo Baladjay, Eustaquio Cabras, Diosdado A. Alferez, and Felixberto Climaco., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Colegio de San Carlos Anniversary
Photo shows the Executive Committee for the 50th Anniversary of the Seminario-Colegio de San Carlos in 1917., Standing (left to right): Atty. Andres Jayme, Vicente Rama, Dr. Jose Borromeo, Mamerto Escaño, Fr. Jose Ja. Cuenco, marcelo Regner, Vicente Urgello, and Apolinar Abella., Seated (left to right): Fructoso Ramos, Fr. Pedro Angulo, CM, Fr. Emiliano Mercado, Manuel Roa, Dionisio Jakosalem, Fr. Anastacio del Corro, and Fr. Francisco de la Torre., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Fort San Pedro Gate
The gate of Fort San Pedro, Cebu City, c. 1920. The gate shows the seal of the King of Spain which can still be seen today., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Magallenes Street
Inscription: Magallanes Street 1945, Cebu City, A view of war-ravaged Magallanes Street, Cebu, taken in 1945, after World War II. This was taken from the kiosk of the Magellan Cross looking down to D. Jakosalem, Gonzales, and Plaridel corners., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Opon Church
A view of the old Opon Church famous for its 'La Virgen de la Regla', a center of local veneration. The town of Opon was founded in 1730 when it also emerged as a parish., Previous to this, in the years after 1600 or 1630, Maktan was a visita of San Nicolas. The medieval devotion to the Virgin of the Rule was brought to Opon sometime in 1736 by Fr. Francisco Aballe, first parish priest of Opon. (See Heidi K. Gloria, Events in Maktan from 1521 to the Beginnings of American Rule in 1900 . M.A. Thesis - U. S. C. - 1975), Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Vision Theatre
A view of the old Vision Theatre on Colon St. taken in 1945, after World War II., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebu Harbor
A view of the harbor of Cebu. Cebu, circa 1900., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebu Railroad
A view of the railroad station in Cebu. This was located in the junction of what is now corner Leon Kilat and P. del Rosario Streets. Work on the construction of the railroad started early in the American occupation. By 1908, a 60-mile railroad running through the capital connected Danao in the north and Argao in the south., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebu Railway
A train of the Philippines Railway at the station of Cebu, Cebu, circa 1910., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebu Wharf
A scene at the Cebu wharf, circa 1920, showing women carrying what appears to be bags of doldol (kapok fiber, used for furniture, pillow, etc., stuffing)., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cebu Provincial Building
Inscription: Provincial Building, Cebu, P.I., The old Provincial Building of Cebu which stood on Calle Martires (now M. J. Cuenco Ave.) This was the center of local government until the erection of the present Provincial Capitol., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Cine Oriente
Cine Oriente, one of the best-known of Cebu's playhouses and cinematographs. This grew out of the Teatro Junquera, founded in 1895, the first theater in Cebu. Teatro Junquera later became Teatro/Cine Oriente and passed through various owners: Pedro Royo, Leopold Falek and Pedro Rivera-Mir, Jose Avila. This photograph was reproduced from Cebu Guia-Directorio, ed. Pedro Rivera-Mir (Cebu, Falek's Printing House, 1913)., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.
Colon Street
A view of Colon Street, circa 1930, showing policeman and traffic stand. At left can be seen Vision Theater. Besides the building are a line of cars of the defunct Checkered Cab while next to the theatre was the residence of the late Don Sergio Osmeña, now occupied by the Eden Theatre. Further down the road to the right was the Oriente Theatre where now the Ideal Theatre stands. Fronting the Vision theatre [Theatre] was the Cebu Lunch which was one of the most popular eateries in those years. The trafficman in this photo is Pio Alo who when this picutre was taken was the "Best Trafficman of the Year". He is shown inside an old-fashioned traffic box with a big parachute like umbrella sheltering him from the heat of the sun., Mounted on photographic mounting card, 285 X 222 cm., This item digitized and made available online with funds provided by United States Department of Education, TICFIA (Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information) Grant P337A05006.